23 July 2011

Mr Punch Free Machine Sketch

I can't cut wood for a bit as it's far to hot too work in my garage so I have been doodling and preparing ideas for when the weather cools off. I then thought it may be fun to try drawing with my new sewing machine. I broke my ancient Bernina earlier this year and am making do with a very basic Janome. So here is the progress of my first large machine sketch with this new machine.  From this doodle...


I roughed out the drawing in pencil on the fabric, took the foot off the machine as it has no special darning or free machining foot. I dropped the feed dog and put the fabric in a large embroidery hoop.


It took a while to get used to the machine as the hoop kept getting caught somewhere on the machine bed which made the stitched line wiggle but I decided to just keep going and work with the imperfections. 


It looks a bit like the original doodle, now I can't decide whether to make a massive cushion or keep on with the drawing and add some sausages or crocodile. I am most tempted to try a new and more involved picture and improve on this one.

1 comment:

Sue Brown said...

It is a real boost to the spirit to pop by your blog and see your beautiful work again on a regular basis. I am thoroughly enjoying myself. XX